liadethornegge: (embroidery)
[personal profile] liadethornegge
I finally did it. I decided it was time to just knuckle down and finish the damn napkin already, and by golly I did it.

The project started before Double Wars two years ago, in 2012, when I was asked to be on the team of Countess Cecilia for a special tourney/fund raiser thing at Double Wars.

I was her artisan, tasked with making something, anything using the design of a rose with a dragon on top. I decided to make a quick little item, a square linen napkin. I hemstitched it all around prettily and then transferred the design to the fabric and started embroidering. The only problem was I chose to do the rose rather big - about 6 inches in diameter.

The thread is a 30/2 silk bought at the Handweavers Studio and Gallery in London and all outlines are chain stitch, while the rest of the bulk of the stitching is split stitch. I had my colours, but the rose was designed with a fade from red to yellow, which I thought I might do in long and short stitch. I tried it first on one petal but it was awful so I unpicked it and decided on just doing semi-circles with progressively less yellow and more red until I had made the transition from all yellow to all red.

My pattern-seeing brain needs to know where the stitches go and when, so the pattern is
7 yellow stitches, then 1 red, repeated to the end of the semicircle.
Then 6 yellow, 1 red,
then 5 and 1, then 4 and 1, then 3 and 1, then 2 and 1
then either 2 and 2, or 1 and 1
then 1 yellow and 2 red
then 1 and 3, then 1 and 4, then 1 and 5, then 1 and 6, then 1 and 7 and finally all red.

It worked very well where I had an uninterrupted field to stitch on, the problems began with the three petals which were not clear of Dragon limbs. One petal has a little too little red in it, but in all, I'm fairly pleased, and when I revealed it on facebook the winner of this item seemed pleased as well.

Yeah, the napkin was won in a raffle at Double Wars 2012, and it was there to be displayed, but I took it back with me to finish. It's been one of those little niggling projects that I really should have finished long ago, but when I didn't manage to do it by the deadline (on account of choosing such a large size!) it sort of got left behind.

Anyway, here are the pics:
Full frontal:
Slanted front, shows the silk shading better:
The back of the work looking a little messy:
A close-up of one of the nicer petals with shading:
From:
Anonymous( )Anonymous This account has disabled anonymous posting.
OpenID( )OpenID You can comment on this post while signed in with an account from many other sites, once you have confirmed your email address. Sign in using OpenID.
User
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

 
Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Profile

liadethornegge: (Default)
Lia de Thornegge

April 2017

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
910 1112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 22nd, 2017 10:52 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios