The weekend of 3-4 July, two weeks ago, was the date for the Shire of Frostheim
's Shoe Workshop
, taught by and held at the home of Lord SvartulvR Kåte
(and his lovely fiancé Elizabeth of Woodbury
). Since I am in the frozen north, and luckily not working those two days I decided to join in the workshop fun.
I signed up, said I wanted to do a shoe appropriate for the early 15th Century, and made my plans. At the workshop we were set up with patterns and leather for uppers as well as sole-leather. There were twelve of us in attendance.
Come the weekend it turns out I didn't really want to make the model that fit the early 15th Century, I wanted to do the shoe styled after the Bocksten-man find, as that fits with my aesthetic sense of what my period shoes should look like. I'm probably horribly out-of-style, but I like them, so there. We used the fabulously practical and clear "Skoboken" for the patterns, which SvartulvR had copied to the appropriate sizes and cut out for us.
I cut out my shoes (ouch), and started sewing (gaah). As I double-checked my pieces I discovered I'd cut out two left shoe uppers - DOH! I was apparently the only one stupid enough to make that mistake. Thankfully there was enough leather that I could cut out a new right upper. The first shoe was finished early on day two (woohoo!), and I put it in water
to soak along with a bunch of other
peoples' shoes. We had all been quite focused and productive, and a couple of people actually finished both shoes during the workshop, turned and all. I rested a little from shoe-making after the first one and cut out a belt-pouch, then continued with the second shoe. Thanks to SvartulvR my left shoe was turned at the workshop and upon trying, fit quite well.
On Monday the 12th I went back to stitch with Elizabeth, and with her moral support I managed to finish up the second shoe. Although just after celebrating having stitched around the heel I realized that I'd forgotten the heel reinforcement - Doh! I had to stitch it in separately, but it ended up virtually invisible. I put it in water overnight and turned it the right way with the help of my mother and it fits even better than the first one.
I have re-wet both shoes and worn them until nearly dry today. They're finished enough to wear, but I intend to add a couple of finishing touches after the event/demo this week, Hägnan, I'm attending Wednesday evening to Saturday evening.