Taking a break from making eyelets, one of my least favourite things to sew, I hemmed my forepart with skirt for the tudor court dress. Now hemming is a tedious and boring job, but fairly straight forward and not difficult. Trying that one on, I then took out the turn-back sleeves which I had put to the side for a later date. I figured now was a later date and that I might decide how to mount the sleeves finally.
I did decide, I shall just sew the upper part of them to the opening I cut/will cut into the fur and lining. Turn it back and attach the upper part with whipstitches or some such to the cap sleeves I have on the dress itself. This mounting shouldn't prove hard to do. I also tested out where the foresleeves should go, and determined that they are a bit too long, I must shorten them and then attach them approximately where the upper part joins with the purred part of the big sleeves. The chemise pouffings I can baste along the back opening of these foresleeves and I shall be, as they say, golden.
Unfortunately, I have a lot of sewing left to do on the fur turn-backs, and since it is fur, pretty much all of it is handsewing. The first one is nearly done, in that I have stitched it together into a pocket with the long front edge open, cut a slit at the top of the long back where I have stitched on the lining. The lining I cut in two halves and whip-stitched around the back and top edges, leaving the turned back edge where I cut the slit in the fur open, and attached this to the opening in the fur.
All that I had already done, and basically all that is left on this one is to fold the bits of fur that are sticking out further than the lining back over the lining and stitch that down there, so that when I flip them back and over my sleeves the fur will help obscure the fact that beyond this, there is no fancy fashion fabric to back it, only the cotton/linen lining. I might use a broch or a big safety pin or something at the back of my arm to keep the two edges together as well, making the illusion even stronger.
I thought I might tackle this last bit of folding over the fur and tacking it down, only to discover it was an even more hateful job than doing eyelets. Despite having all that soft cuddly fur to fondle I think I'd rather do eyelets. Except that I don't want to do them either just now. So looking at all the other things I could/should do...
- Hem the blue Tudor court dress, which is already pinned and ready to go
- Sew eyelets on the working class bodice
- Sew fur
- Make an apron out of my peachy/pinky linen
- Make a start on the french hood
- Make pattern and toile for a caul
- Finish the pleating on the big foofy false chemise sleeves to go for the Tudor court gown
- Finish the back edge of the foresleeves for the Tudor court gown
- Fingerloop a lace for the working class closing
- Cut a slit in the skirt for the working class dress and finish it nicely
- Possibly make a white linen partlet
- Possibly make the collar-bit for my black wool partlet
Or failing all that, some school-work. Instead I am eating chocolate chip cookies and drinking coca-cola, pondering these things and posting to LJ and surfing up lovely images and such online.